Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Half Marathon Training

Its that time of year again!  Each year I participate in the Go St. Louis Half Marathon. My very first two years I competed in the full marathon!  I know not everyone has the same goal as I did, but finishing a full marathon was always on my "life's goal list." After the first one I said, "I did one and I will never do another! Thats it for me!" A month later I was already planning for the next one I would do!  It can be somewhat addicting.  I have compared it to pregnancy and childbirth!  Really....you train and prepare and look forward to this one big event for so long and the day comes and its hard and painful and you swear you will never do it again, but then you feel the joy of completing it and the feeling of accomplishment and all of the sudden, just like babies, you find yourself saying, "it wasn't that bad...I think I wanna do it again!"


Now... the second one wasn't near as great as I had hoped. I would never suggest doing two of the same marathon in a row, unless it is in a very exciting location.  The 26.2 miles seemed more like 46.2.  I was familiar with the course and I know the city, so the second time around wasn't nearly as exciting. My third marathon in Chicago was a bit more thrilling but equally as hard, and just like I said before, I told myself never again and here I am thinking about the next one!

As far as St. Louis though, I'm sticking to the halfs. And trust me, after the full it feels like nothin!  I have enjoyed over the years training other women to complete it.  A group makes the training so much easier and it holds you accountable. For many of the women I've trained, its their first half-marathon, so not only is it a huge commitment, but they want lots of coaching and information.  I love providing them the support and advice along the way.  It also makes me get out there on those Saturday mornings that I don't want to get out of bed!

This year we have done something a little different. My club is teaming up with a yoga apparel store to offer FREE half-marathon training and I am very excited to be the head coach!  Of course it is added work, but the reward of seeing these 50 (yes 50) participants cross the finish will be so rewarding!

If you are interested in getting more information about running the half marathon, please let me know. I would be happy to help some of you moms train!  Don't think you can't do it!  Anyone, and I mean anyone, can complete a half marathon.  Whether you walk or run, just finishing 13.1 is an accomplishment!  I challenge you to do it!  This will be the first year that I have two children, so my double jogger will quite heavy!  One was hard, so I'm really gonna burn some calories this year.  Its one thing about running that I really enjoy. Unlike going to the gym or a fitness class, if you run outside you can take the kids along and they usually love it....if the weather is nice enough to go out.  So far they have really challenged me with the stroller since one always wants to walk and the other doesn't love to sit still!  So not only am I training me, but I'm training them to sit and stay while mommy gets her workout.

I have alot of insight on the stroller thing too, so more on that next!
Go Mommy Go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment