Happy Thanksgiving! I often have to remind clients that Thanksgiving is not all about the food! If you think of it that way you may not overeat so much! According to research from the Calorie Control Council, the average American may consume more than 4,500 calories and a whopping 229 grams of fat from snacking and eating a traditional holiday dinner with turkey and all the trimmings. And these figures don't even include breakfast or the late evening munching on leftovers!
Apple cider, 1 cup: 115
Champagne Punch, 6 ounces: 124
Wine, 3.5 ounces: 84
Kahlua Sombrero, 4 ounces: 340
Appetizers and First Courses
Mixed nuts, 1 ounce: 170
Candied Pecans, 1 ounce: 139
Cheese ball, 1 ounce: 110
Crackers, 5: 80
Crudités selection, 8 ounces: 75
Sour Cream & Onion Dip, 2 tablespoons: 60
Chex Mix, 2/3 cup: 130
Stuffed Mushrooms, 6 small: 386
Deviled Eggs, one: 59
Cheese Puffs, one: 71
Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce, 3: 30
Fruit Cup, 1/2 cup: 70
Tossed salad with Oil and Vinegar, 10 ounces
Ambrosia Salad, 1 cup: 183
Molded Jell-O Salad, ½ cup: 103
Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87
Butter, 1 pat: 36
Cheesy Corn Bread, 2" X 2": 96
Turkey, roasted white meat, 4 ounces: 180
Turkey, roasted dark meat, 4 ounces: 323
Turkey Gravy, 1/4 cup: 50
Stuffing, 1/2 cup: 190
Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup: 190
Candied Yams, 1/2 cup: 210
Sweet Potato Casserole, 3/4 cup: 624
Honey Glazed Carrots, 1/2 cup: 45
Green Beans Almondine, 1/2 cup: 220
Green Bean Casserole, 1/2 cup: 75
Peas and Pearl Onions, 1/2 cup: 40
Jellied Cranberry Sauce, 1/4 cup: 110
Cranberry Relish, 1/2 cup: 76
Pumpkin Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 316
Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 411
Pecan Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 503
Vanilla Ice Cream, 1/2 cup: 145
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling, 1" round: 306
Chocolate Cream Pie, 1 large slice: 535
Baked Apple, 1 apple: 182
Tea, brewed, 8 ounces: 2
Coffee, black: 10 ounces: 5
Coffee with Cream and Sugar, 10 ounces: 120
Coffee with Baileys Irish Cream and Sugar, 10 ounces: 186
Thanksgiving Tips for Success:
1. Have only the things you really want. Don’t feel like you have to put everything on your plate just because its there! If you really only enjoy the turkey and the potatoes, but you have Aunt Sally’s ambrosia every year just because its there…skip it.
2. Sort your plate. Divider plates are really perfect for this. Imagine you have 3 parts to your plate…1 part protein (turkey), one part green vegetable (green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus) one part carbohydrate (stuffing, potatoes). This will ensure that you’re not having too much of one thing!
3. If you want dessert, have one. Don’t try to avoid the dessert and then snack on cookies. If you plan to have dessert, decide what it is you must have and enjoy that one thing! Plan ahead and you won’t overdue it.
4. Wear fitted clothing on Thanksgiving! This is my number one rule for the holidays! Don’t wear your stretchy jeans and a big sweater! Wear something that fits you just right to help keep control. This really works! You may even get some compliments on that figure you’ve been working on if people can see it!
5. Burn extra calories this week and next. You may need to have some calories on reserve for thanksgiving. Get a few hard core workouts this week and next to make up for the damage.
6. Don’t skip meals on Thanksgiving! You must, must, must eat a good breakfast and lunch before you’re thanksgiving dinner. It’s just another meal and it’s not just about the food!
7. Give Thanks! Remember what thanksgiving is all about! Be grateful for your health and that of your family. Spread thanks and bring your family back to the real reason for Thanksgiving.