Thursday, July 21, 2011

What I'm reading now..."A Stolen Life"

I'm not sure why I wanted to read this book so bad? A Stolen Life is the Jaycee Dugard story. The girl who was kidnapped at 11 years old and not found until she was 30! Why would I want to read all the horrible things that happened to her, especially when I have two young girls? Its like...you are so curious and obsess over what if and what did she go through, that you just have to know!
I am the same age as Jaycee and when I was 10 and 11 I remember girls being kidnapped or missing and it was my ultimate fear! I was afraid to ride my bike anywhere or talk to anyone. I remember riding my bike one time when a car of teenagers drove past yelling stuff and reving the engine! I was so freaking scared I don't know if I rode my bike for a while after that. I remember Cassidy Sentor (sp?) was missing for some time and was found in a field mutilated! I'm not sure why my parents let me watch the news? Maybe to scare me?
Anyway....I had nightmares the first night I started reading this book. I read almost half of it in one night. I am impressed with how strong this girl is and how can share all of that. This whole time since they found her living in the back yard of this man's house for 18 years, I could not stop thinking.....why didn't she try to escape?? But as I read further I'm starting to understand how manipulated she was and how much she loved her two girls and didn't want to lose them or chance anything happening to them. I guess I might feel some of that too? I still haven't finished the book, but it really is truly amazing that she survived what she did and is such a nice and intelligent person. A good book if you ever wonder about these kinds of things or if you remember and were curious about her story. I do have to say....I just cannot get over the fact that law enforcement looked over her so many danm times! That infuriates me!!! She really started to feel that no one cared about her. How many other children are missing out there that are right under our noses! Wake up people! If you see something that doesn't look right to you....do something about it!!! You might save a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment