Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Run Mommy Run!

Training season is almost upon us for the new St. Louis Rock n Roll Marathon!!! This marathon was formerly the Lewis and Clark, which I have to say I am sorry to see go. My best half times were on that coarse. It was flat and open. But....this is the Rock n Roll Marathon! You have to do it! A band at every mile, I can hardly imagine that  you will get bored?
So tonight I asked my "Hot Mamma's" (as they have nicknamed themselves), "Who wants to run the marathon with me?" I got mostly laughs, but I might have them talked into at least walking the half. Thats a good start right? They can always work their way up after they have the time of their lives with 13.1.

So a piece of advice that I got when thinking about doing my first half marathon was this: Never start with a half-marathon because after that you will NEVER want to do a full! I really couldn't agree more! So, I took the advice and I jumped right into training for my my first full-marathon without ever running more than 5 miles (and that was for the St. Patty's Day Run, which used to seem like a really BIG deal!). Our first training run was 6 miles and I didn't know if I would finish......but, I did, along with the 8 mile, 10 mile, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 mile runs I completed with a whole group of others who had never run a marathon either! My first marathon (I think in 2004) was by far the easiest of the 3 I've run! I was so prepared and heard so many stories of hitting "the wall" that I paced myself and expected the worst and to my surprise, at mile 20 I actually felt great and picked up my pace! I even drank a beer in Soulard at mile 22 or so just for the fun of it!!! I may have regreted that one later as for the rest of the day everything went right through me, but it still makes for a good story :)

So, if you are thinking, "I've always wanted to run a full 26.2." I say, "Do it now!" I will be starting my training in July and will do long runs on Saturday or Sunday mornings. There are plenty of training teams out there that offer free training and it is great to meet other runners and have the support when going those distances! Email me if you have questions on how to get started. I'd be happy to give you a program and training schedule. gofitmomstl@gmail.com

Oh, and I just have to mention that my girls and my husband are such great support and I love when they come out to see me run. They really keep me going! And the best is that at the end when I receive my medal my daughter Taylor always tells me she is so proud of me for winning the race!!! :) Aww! She even told her teachers that I won! LOL! What a sweety she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment