Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday Traditions to Start with Your Kids

Not all my posts are about exercise and nutrtion. A lot of times I find great articles about kids and other things that I just like to share. Now that my oldest is old enough to understand Christmas and its meaining I've been trying to teach her about giving and teach her that Christmas is not just about Santa and getting presents! Although I'll admit I play the Santa card a lot!
I love traditions and wanted to start some of our own holiday traditions. Last year I had a brilliant idea that we would start a tradition of having the grandparents over for dinner and carriage ride through Tillis park, but that turned out to be pretty pricy and the kids didn't learn much from it. I really enjoyed putting the tree up this year with the kids and reading them all the ornaments and telling them where they came from! I found some other great traditions for kids in the Parent and Child magazine and a few I love!
1. A Card a Day- Keep holiday cards you recieve in the mail unopened until dinner. Let your kids open them and read them aloud at the table. Share stories about the cards writers, including how you met them, places you've been together, etc. Kids always love opening mail!
2. Pay it forward- Give a craft kit (a beading set, oragami, etc) as an early gift to your children. They can use it to make presents for family and friends. This ritual will remind them that the holidays are in large part about giving.
3. Kids giving to Kids- Each year have your children gather all the toys they don't use anymore and donate them to kids in need. Have your children each buy something new from their own money for a child in need. Remind them that not everyone has the things that they have. I love that this year Taylor's teacher had the kids bring in toys and clothes and donated them to a family nearby who had just lost their home in a fire. I was so surprised how much Taylor was willing to give up for another little girl her age!

If you have other great traditions I would love to hear them! Email me or comment on my facebook page!
gofitmom@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment