Monday, July 4, 2011

My Summer Menu

One of the reasons I really love the summer is because of all the fresh fruits and veggies and because we love to BBQ!! In the winter I tend to gain a few lbs. because of all the chili, potatoes, pasta and because I'm usually not as active. I love to run outside, but the winter makes it hard. I can't stand that it gets dark at 5pm, it makes me feel like I have to go to bed. So I really look forward to the summer.
Whats on the menu at my house in the summer? Well, one of my favorite, favorite things to make in the summer is Tomato, Cucumber, and Mozzarella salad! Yum! I grew up with my mom and grandma making cucumber and tomato with homegrown tomatoes and I love it! We are growing tomatoes and cucumbers in the garden this year. I also love fresh grilled veggies. I usually do a mixture of bell peppers (red, green, yellow and orange) or zucchini and yellow squash. We toss them in italian dressing or a little butter and wrap them in foil.
Our new favorite meat this summer is turkey tenderloin. My kids love it! We have been buying the pre-marinated ones from Aldi and they have a great flavor to them. My husband still loves pork steaks and burgers, but for me he makes turkey burgers with blue cheese! Is your mouth watering yet?
Of course no meal is done in the summer without corn on the cob. This is another fav for the kids. My little one also likes sweet potatoes and they are soooo much better done on the grill! If you find that they take too long, try putting them in the microwave for a few minutes first and then add them to the grill.
So there are some great options for a healthy summer meal. And, don't forget a fruit salad or watermelon for dessert. Another kid hit.
Now, the only problem we have with summer and grilling is.....BEER! Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for that. I'm guilty! But, I have discovered the Skinny Girl Margarita because there is nothing better than margaritas on the patio on friday nights! How much is up to you!
Happy Grilling! If you have a favorite summer recipe, email me... gofitmomstl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment